Saturday, April 30, 2011

Pig in the City



by J.S. Holland

Around this time last year, we discussed the Bacon-infused Old Fashioned cocktails served at PDT in New York. Now here's a Bacon-infused Manhattan, which it was my pleasure to gargle with during a Don Draper-style late business lunch today at Blind Pig in Butchertown.

Whereas PDT uses bacon-infused bourbon for their confectious concoction, the Blind Pig uses bacon-infused Sazerac rye, homemade coffee bitters, and vermouth. Simple. Elegant. And delishmus. But was it worth ten dollars in an Obama economy? Wellllll... maybe for a one-time treat just so you can say you did it. And you really should try it at least once.

The bacon is very subtle, so don't worry, you're not going to get high blood pressure or trichinosis from this. Needless to say, however, the drink aint kosher and it sure aint Halal.


In the final analysis, I think I would have rather squandered my ten-dollar bills on their Smokey & The Bandit cocktail, made with my beloved Del Maguey Mezcal. Now that's a drink worth wasting your wages on! For this price, I really feel like they should have placed a generous rolled-up piece of fried bacon on a skewer floating in the drink.

Don't let my mixed message here dampen your enthusiasm for the Blind Pig - it may well be my favorite restaurant and bar in town. Tell 'em I sent you by!

No comments:

Post a Comment